DESCRIPTION OF COURSES
AC 502 GENERAL CHEMISTRY (3L+1P) I
To acquaint the students with atomic structure, stereochemistry, nomenclature of organic compounds, their chemistry and properties.
Organic compounds: nomenclature, isomerism - constitutional, configurational and conformational, chirality.
Chemistry of terpenoids, alkaloids, flavonoids and heterocyclic compounds, carbohydrates, amino acids, proteins, nucleic acids.
Solutions and colligative properties
General aspects and Introduction, Detection of elements in organic compounds, Detection of functional groups and preparation of their derivatives, Separation and identification of organic compounds in binary mixtures.
- Clarke, H.T. and Hayes, W.C. 1964. Handbook of Organic Analysis. Edward Arnold. Clyde, R.M. 1988. Schaum’s Outline of Physical Chemistry. 2nd Ed. McGraw-Hill.
- Ernest, L.E. and Samuel, H.W. 1994. Stereochemistry of Organic Compounds. Wiley-Interscience. Finar, I.L. 1989. Organic Chemistry. Vols. I, II. Longmans.
- James, B.H., Donald, J.C. and George, S.H. 1970. Organic Chemistry. McGraw-Hill.
- Negi, A.S. and Anand, S.C. 2003. A Text Book of Physical Chemistry. Wiley Eastern. Robert, A.A. and Robert, J.S. 1996. Physical Chemistry. 2nd Ed. John Wiley & Sons. Robert, T.M. and Robert, N.B. 1992. Organic Chemistry. 6th Ed.Prentice Hall. Samuel, G. and David, L. 1946. Advanced Physical Chemistry. Macmillan Education.
- Vogel, A.I., Tatchell, A.R., Furnis, B.S. and Hannaford, A.J. 1996. Vogel Textbook of Practical Organic Chemistry. Forestmillbooks,UK.
- Walter, J.M. 1987. Basic Physical Chemistry. Prentice Hall of India.