DESCRIPTION OF COURSES
AC 602 CHEMISTRY OF BIOPESTICIDES (3L+1P) III
To teach chemistry of conventional biopesticides, semiochemicals and allelochemicals, phytoalexins, pesticides of microbial origin and application of biotechnology in pest management.
Sources of biopesticides and extraction (ASE, SFE /solvent extraction
Isolation, characterization, properties and mode of action of important groups of naturally occurring insecticides (pyrethroids, nicotinoids, rotenoids, limonoids, microbial macrolides).
Bacillus thuringiensis and nuclear polyhedrosis virus based insecticides and other biopesticides.
Semiochemicals, insect hormones, insect growth regulators, feeding deterrents and repellents etc
Natural nematicides, fungicides, mollusicides and rodenticides
Alleochemicals. Anti JH / JH mimics and moulting agonists.
Extraction by hydrodistillation, isolation of pure compounds, their characterization, Extraction of tobacco leaves, isolation of nicotine and its identification, Extraction of neem seed kernels, enrichment of azadirachtin, analysis of azadirachtin and its analysis.
- Alexander, M. 1999. Biodegradation and Bioremediation. 2nd Ed. Academic Press.
- Copping, L.G. 1996. Crop Protection Agents from Nature: Natural Products and Analogues. Royal Soc. Chem., London.
- Dev, S. and Koul, O. 1997. Insecticides of Natural Origin. Harwood Acad. Publishers. Godfrey, C.R.A. 1995. Agrochemicals from Natural Products. Marcel Dekker.
- Hall, J.C., Hoagland, R.E. and Zablotowicz, R.M. 2001. Pesticide Biotransformation in Plants and
- Microorganisms: Similarities and Divergences. ACS Symposium Series 777. Washington, DC. Hassal, K.A. 1990. The Biochemistry. Plenum Press. .
- Jacobson, M. 1965. Insect Sex Attractants. John Wiley & Sons .
- Jacobson, M. 1970. Naturally Occurring Insecticides. John Wiley & Sons
- Khan, S.U. 1980. Pesticides in the Soil Environment. Elsevier. Leahey, J.P. 1985. The Pyrethroid Insecticides. Taylor & Francis. Matsumura, F. 1975. Toxicology of Insecticides. Plenum Press.
- Menzie, C.M. 1980. Metabolism of Pesticides. Update III US Fish and Wildlife Service Special Scientific Report.
- Parmar, B.S. and Devakumar, C. 1990. In: Botanical and Biopesticides.Westvill Publ. House.
- Racke, K.D., Skidmore, M.W., Hamilton, D.J., Unsworth, J.B., Miyamoto, J. and Cohen, S.Z. 1997. Pesticide Fate in Tropical Soils. Pure and Appl. Chem. 69 (6): 1349-1371.