DESCRIPTION OF COURSES
NEMA 508 NEMATODE ECOLOGY (2L +1P) II
To understand the life of plant parasitic nematodes in their environment; their survival strategies, and how to exploit these for their control.
Definition and scope; components of environment; evolution of nematodes; ecological classification, prevalence, distribution and dispersal of nematodes.
Role of nematodes in the food web; habitat and niche characteristics; community analysis, ecological indices, population estimation models
Effects of abiotic and biotic factors on nematodes; Environmental extremes and nematode behaviour, survival strategies in nematodes and nematodes as bioindicators.
Modeling population dynamics and relations with crop performance; ecological considerations in nematode management, data interpretation and systems simulation.
Impact of climate change on nematode pest problem.
Study of nematode fauna in varied agro-ecological systems, community analysis of nematode populations, laboratory exercises on influence of abiotic factors on movement and hatching, green- house experiments on effect of abiotic factors on nematode populations and plant growth.
- Been, Thomas H. and Corrie H. Schomaker 2006. Distribution patterns and sampling . p302-324. (In. Plant Nematology , eds. Perry, R.N. and Maurice Moens ), CABI Publication.
- Gaur H.S. 1994. Ecology of Plant Parasitic Nematodes (p 31-65) In :Nematode Pest Management in crops (Eds. D.S. Bhatti & R.K. Walia) CBS Publishers .
- Chen, Z.X., Chen S.Y. and D.W. Dickson Nematology Advances and Perspectives Volume I Nematode Morphology, Physiology and Ecology ). CABI Publication
- Jones F.G. W. and R.A. Kempton 1982. Population dynamics, population models and integrated control.p. 333-361. (In Plant Nematology ed. Southey, J.F).
- Jones F.G. W. 1982. The soil plant environment (In Plant Nematology ed. Southey, J.F) 46-62. Jones F.G.W 1975. Soil as an environment for Nematodes. Ann. Appl. Biol.79:113-139.
- Lee DL. 2002. The Biology of Nematodes. Taylor & Francis, London.
- Mc Sorley Robert and Larry W. Duncan 2003. Population dynamics p 469-486. .(In Chen, Z.X., Chen S.Y. and D.W. Dickson Nematology Advances and Perspectives Volume I Nematode Morphology, Physiology and Ecology ). CABI Publication
- Michael J. Wilson and Thomas Kakouli Duarte 2009. Nematodes as environmental indicators .CABI Publication Norton DC. 1978. Ecology of Plant Parasitic Nematodes. John Wiley.
- Wallace HR. 1973. Nematode Ecology and Plant Disease. Edward Arnold,London.
- Yeates, G.W. and Brian Boag 2003. Background for nematode ecology in the 21st Century. p406-429. Zuckerman, B.M, Mai, W.F. & Rohde, R.A. 1971. Plant Parasitic Nematodes, Vol 1. Academic Press