DESCRIPTION OF COURSES
PGR 604 ADVANCES IN GERMPLASM EVALUATION AND UTILIZATION (2L+1P) III
To impart theoretical and practical knowledge on recent advances in crop germplasm evaluation and use.
Limitation in use of germplasm: Limitations in use of germplasm collections and necessity of germplasm evaluation, advances in methodology of germplasm evaluation and predictive methods for identification of useful germplasm.
Evaluation of crop germplasm for value addition: Evaluation of germplasm against biotic/abiotic stresses; quality attributes and other value addition traits.
Management and utilization of crop germplasm: Concept of core collection; Molecular markers and their use in characterization and use of genetic resources; Germplasm enhancement/pre- breeding and use of wild relatives in crop improvements, Molecular tagging of QTLs and its role in utilization of germplasm resources.
Harmonising agro-biodiversity conservation and agricultural development: New crops of the future; PGR management: complementarity in ex situ-in situ (on-farm) approaches and participatory plant breeding.
- Management and utilization of crop germplasm: Exercise for developing core set
- Evaluation of crop germplasm for value addition
- Evaluation of crop germplasm against biotic/abiotic stresses
- Evaluation of germplasm for quality traits
- Biochemical/molecular characterisation of germplasm
- Experiments on wide hybridization
- Brown, A.H.D., Clegg, M.T., Kahler, A.L. and Weir, B.S. (eds.) 1990. Plant population genetics, breeding, and genetic resources, Sinauer Associates, USA.
- Brown, A.H.D., Frankel, O.H., Marshall, D.R. and Williams, J.T. 1989. The use of plant gentic resources, Cambridge Univ. Press
- Frankel, O.H. and Hawks, J.G. 1975. Crop genetic resources for today and tomorrow, Cambridge Univ. Press.
- Frankel, O.H. and Michaele, E.S. 1987. Conservation and evolution, Cambridge Univ. Press. Frankel, R. and Galun, E. 1977. Pollination mechanisms, reproduction and plant breeding.
- Harlan, J.R. 1992. Crops & Man (Second Edition), American Society of Agronomy Inc., Crop Science Society of America Inc., Madison, Wisconsin, USA
- Hayward, M.D., Bosemak, N.O. and Romagosa, I. 1993. Plant Breeding: Principles & Practices, Chapman & Hall.
- Holden, J.H.N. and Williams, J.T. 1984. Crop genetic resources: conservation and evaluation, IBPGR.
- Regeneration of accessions in seed collections: a decision guide (1997) by IPGRI: Handbook for genebanks No. 5.
- Stoskopf, N.C. 1993. Plant Breeding: theory & practice, Westview Press.