DESCRIPTION OF COURSES
PGR 605 PRINCIPLES AND METHODS IN ANALYSES OF MOLECULAR DIVERSITY (2L+2P) II
To provide insight into organization and structure of genetic variation in plant populations and practical skills in molecular diversity analysis.
Organization and structure of genetic variation in natural populations, organization and evolution of eukaryotic genome.
Molecular verses other conventional methods for assessing genetic variation; sampling for molecular analyses, functional polymorphism, uses and applications of molecular markers in PGR - analysis of genetic diversity, identification of gaps in collection, evaluation and characterization etc.
Biochemical and molecular markers, molecular cytology, principles of RFLPs, PCR based techniques, AFLPs, SNPs and DNA sequencing; statistical treatment of the molecular data and interpretation; recent advances: emerging techniques, their applicability and uses.
- The Hardy-Weinberg principle and estimating allele frequencies in populations; Inbreeding and self-fertilization
- Testing for departures from Hardy-Weinberg proportions
- The Wahlund Effect and Wright’s F-statistics
- Analyzing the genetic structure of populations; Quantitative genetics; Introduction to Linkage disequilibrium and association analysis
- Molecular evolution
- The neutral theory of molecular evolution
- Detecting selection on nucleotide polymorphisms
- Patterns of selection on nucleotide polymorphisms
- Tajima’s D, Fay and Wu’s H, and Zeng et al.’s E
- Evolution in multigene families
- Methods in numerical taxonomy
- Griffin, H.G. and Griffin, A.M. 1994. PCR Technology: Current Innovations. CRC Press, London. Hillis, D. and Moritz, C. 1990. Molecular Systematics. Sinauer Associates, USA.
- Karp A., Isaac, P.G. and Ingram, D.S. 1998. Molecular Tools for Screening Biodiversity – Plants and Animals. Chapman and Hall, London.
- Lynch, M. and Walsh, B. 1998. Genetics and analysis of quantitative traits. Sinauer Associates, Massachusetts, USA.
- Tanksley, S.D. and Orton, T.J. 1983. Isozymes in Plant Genetics and Breeding, Part A & B. Elsevier Science Publication, Amsterdam.
- Weir, B.S. 1996. Genetic Data Analysis II: methods for Discrete Population Genetic Data. Sinauer Associates, Massachusetts, USA.