DESCRIPTION OF COURSES
PGR 606 ECOLOGY AND BIODIVERSITY (2L+2P) III
To educate students about interdisciplinary scientific study of the distributions, abundance and relations of organisms and their interactions with the environment, and the study of ecosystems.
Origin and diversity of life, adaptations, basic elements of plant ecology, ecological components, population ecology- populations and life history, growth and limits.
Community ecology- species interactions, role of behaviour, interactions and structure.
Ecosystems- concept of ecosystems, ecological balance, vegetation dynamics, productivity and nutrient cycling.
Conservation ecology, seed ecology, nature conservation and environmental management, ecosystem restoration, biogeography and evolution.
Biodiversity functioning- genetic adaptations, population irruptions/crisis in nature, community change and ecosystem regulation.
Biodiversity conservation-geographical patterns in biodiversity, habitat fragmentation and conservation areas.
Biodiversity management and exploitation-biodiversity resources and their harvesting, impact of physical and biotic factors on sustainability- case studies, impact of biotic and cliamatic factors on biomes and biodiversity- pollution and over-exploitation.
- Adaptations in plants, eological components, survey of local biodiversity (field study), ecological status of various species (field study)
- Population and community patters- case studies on local flora
- Identification of alien species and their impact assessment, study of protected areas restoration of threatened species
- Bioresources and their harvesting, impact assessment of pollution and over-exploitation on targeted taxa
- Bioresource ecology by Ananthakrishanan, Published in 1989, Oxford & IBH Pub. Co. (New Delhi).
- Principle of general ecology by Angus M. Woodbury. Blakiston, New York, 1954.
- Ecology: a text book by Remmert Hermann, Publisher: Springer (1980)
- Taxonomy and Ecology by Heywood, Academic Press London, 1973.
- Modern concepts of ecology by H.D. Kumar, Vikas Pub. House (New Delhi), 1992.
- Principles of conservation Biology, 2nd edition by Meffe and Carroll, Publisher: Sinauer Associates, 1997.
- Conservation Biology : Research priorites for the nest Decade, edited by Soule and Orians (2001)
- Plant genetic resources: conservation and management (1991) By R.S. Paroda & R.K. Arora (eds.), NBPGR
- Biodiversity: implication for global food security (1992) By M.S. Swaminathan & S. Jana (eds.), McMIllan Press
- Crops & Man (Second Edition) (1992). By J.R. Harlan, American Society of Agronomy Inc., Crop Science Society of America Inc., Madison, Wisconsin, USA
- Plant genetic resources of India: their diversity and conservation (1982). By K.L. Mehra and Arora, R.K.