DESCRIPTION OF COURSES
PL PATH 505 DETECTION AND DIAGNOSIS OF PLANT DISEASES (1L+2P) I
To impart knowledge on various methods/techniques/instruments used in the study of plant diseases/pathogens.
Biological, serological and nucleo-based techniques for the detection of virus and virus like pathogens,
Fungal disease diagnosis-symptomatology, collection of samples and their preservation, Koch’s postulates, isolation techniques, purification and single spore isolation, inoculation technique and creation of artificial epiphytotics of fungal pathogens, long term storage and preservation of fungal cultures, molecular detection of fungal pathogens, data collection, compilation and scientific writing
Symptoms of bacterial diseases and characteristics of phytopathogenic bacteria, isolation of phytopathogenic bacteria from rhizosphere and phyllospheres, bacterial stains and staining methods, techniques for purification and pathogenecity
Methods to prove Koch’s postulates with biotroph and necrotroph pathogens, pure culture techniques, use of selective media to isolate pathogens, preservation of plant pathogens and disease specimens, use of haemocytometer, micrometer, centrifuge, pH meter, camera lucida. Microscopic techniques and staining methods, phase contrast system, chromatography, use of electron microscope, spectrophotometer, ultracentrifuge and electrophoretic apparatus, disease diagnostics, serological and molecular techniques for detection of plant pathogens. Evaluation of fungicides, bactericides etc.; field experiments, data collection and preparation of references.
- Bahadur, P., Singh, R.H., Jain, R.K., Aggarwal, R. and Jayaraman, J. 2000. Manual on diagnostic techniques in plant pathology. Venus Printer and Publishers, New Delhi, 62pp.
- Dijkstra, J. and de Jager, C.P. 1998. Practical Plant Virology: Protocols and Exercises. Springer Lab Manual, New York, 459pp.
- Duncans, J.M. and Torrance, L. 1992. Techniques for rapid diagnosis of plant pathogens. Blackwell Scientific Publications, Oxford, U.K
- Facquet, C.M. 1999. Taxonomy, classification and nomenclature of viruses. In encyclopedia of virology (eds. Granoff & Webster), Academic Press, New York, USA, 1730-1756.
- Fox RTV. 1993. Principles of diagnostic technique in plant pathology. Cab International, Wallingford, U.K., 224pp.
- Hampton, R., Ball, E. and Bocr, S.D. 1990. Serological methods for detection and identification of viral and bacterial plant pathogens- a laboratory manual. APS publication, Minnocsota, USA, 389pp.
- Hull, R. 2002. Matthews’ plant virology, 4th ed., Academic Press, New York, 1001pp.
- Jones, R.A.C. and Torrance, L. 1986. Development and applications in virus testing. AAB publication, Wellesbourne, U.K., 300pp.
- Kado, C.I. and Aggarwal, H.O. 1972. Principles and techniques in plant virology. Van Nostrand Reinhold Company, New York, 688pp.
- Martin, R.R., James, D. and Andre, L.C. 2000. Impacts of molecular diagnostic techniques on plant disease management. Ann. Rev. Phytopath. 38: 207-239.
- Matthews, R.E.F. 1993. Diagnosis of plant virus diseases. CRC press, Boca, Raton, Tokyo, 374pp.
- Noordam, D. 1993. Identification of plant viruses: methods and experiments. Cent Agric. Pub. Doc, Wageninge, 207pp.
- Trigiano, R.N., Windham, M.T. and Windham, A.S. 2004 (eds). Plant Pathology- Concepts and Laboratory Exercises. CRC Press, Boca Raton, Florida, USA, 413pp.
- Ward, E., Foster, S.J., Fraaije, B.A. and McCartney, H.A. 2004. Plant pathogen diagnostics: Immunological and nucleic acid based approaches. Ann. app. Biol. 145: 1-16.
- Webster, C.G., Wylie, S.J. and Jones, M.G.K. 2004. Diagnosis of plant viral pathogens. Current Science 86 (12): 1604-1607.