DESCRIPTION OF COURSES
PL PATH 513 DISEASE RESISTANCE IN PLANTS (2L+0P) III
To impart knowledge on disease resistance mechanisms in plants.
Introduction and historical development, dynamics of pathogenicity, process of infection, variability in plant pathogens, gene centres as sources of resistance, disease resistance terminology.
Disease escapes, disease tolerance, disease resistance, types of resistance, identification of physiological races of pathogens, disease progression in relation to resistance, stabilizing selection pressure in plant pathogens.
Host defence system, morphological and anatomical resistance, preformed chemicals in host defence, post infectional chemicals in host defence,phytoalexins, hypersensitivity and its mechanisms.
Gene-for-gene concept, protein-for-protein and immunization basis, management of resistance genes. Strategies for gene deployment.
- Agrios, G.N. 2005. Plant Pathology, Academic Press.
- Callow, J.A. and Green, J.R. 1992. Perspectives in plant cell recognition, Cambridge University Press.
- Dasgupta, M.K. 1988. Principles of Plant Pathology. Allied Publisher Private Limited. New Delhi, India.
- Dickinson, M. 2003. Molecular Plant Pathology, Taylor & Francis.
- Garraway, M.O. 1984. Fungal nutrition and physiology, Evans, Robert Church, Wiley,
- Gurr, S.J., McPherson, M.J., Bowles and Dianna, J. 1992. Molecular Plant Pathology: A practical approach. IRL Press at Oxford University Press.
- Gurr, S.J., McPherson, M.J. and Bowles, D.J. 1993. Molecular Plant Pathology: A Practical Approach Volumes I and II as a Set by Oxford University Press, USA
- Harshberger, J.W. 1917. A text-book of Mycology and Plant Pathology. P. Blakiston’s Son & Co.
- Lambert, M., Surhone, Miriam T. and Timpledon, S. 2009. Plant Physiology: Plant, Plant Morphology, Ecology, Phytochemistry, Cell Biology, Molecular Biology, Photosynthesis, Herbivore, Plant Pathology, Plant Nutrition, Biological Pigment. Betascript Publishers
- Lucas, J.A. and Dickinson, C.H. 1997. Plant Pathology and plant pathogens, Wiley-Blackwell
- Orcutt, D.M. and Nilsen, E.T. 2000. The Physiology of Plants under Stress: Soil and Biotic factors. John Wiley and Sons.
- Singh, R.P. and Singh, U.S. 1995. Molecular methods in plant pathology. CRC press, London.
- Strange, R.N. 2003. Introduction to Plant Pathology. John Wiley and Sons.