DESCRIPTION OF COURSES
SSAC 607 MODELLING SOIL PLANT SYSTEM (3L+1P) III
To train the students in concepts, methodology, technology and use of systems simulation in soil and crop studies
Introduction, terms and definitions; classification of models; steps of modelling; Taylor series; numerical methods of differentiation and integration; convergence and stability of models.
High level computer language - FORTRAN its commands and usage; testing and evaluation of model.
Description of spatially homogeneous models; K transformation model; model on carbon, nitrogen and phosphorus dynamics in soil.
Spatially heterogeneous models; equation of continuity; simulation of water flow through soil; explicit and explicit-implicit method; simulation of solute movement through soil by explicit method and with variable moisture flux by explicit-implicit method.
Nutrient uptake models; water uptake models; sensitivity analysis, parameter ranking and model simplification.
Testing and usage of FORTRAN commands; writing, compiling, linking and execution of FORTRAN modules on i) K transformation and equilibria in soils, ii) C, N and P transformation in soils, iii) water and salt movement in soils, and iv) nutrient uptake by plants.
- Benbi, D.K. and Nieder, R. (Eds). 2003. Handbook of Processes and Modelling in the Soil - Plant System. Haworth Press.
- Datta, S.C. 2007. Theory and Principles of Simulation Model in Soil and Plant System. Capital Publishing Company, New Delhi.
- Frame, J. and Thornley, J.H.M 1984. Mathematical Models in Agriculture - A Quantitative Approach to Problems in Agriculture and Related Science. Butterworth and Co. Ltd.
- Frissel, M.I. and Reinger, P. 1974. Simulation of Accumulation and Leaching in Soils. Oxford and IBH, New Delhi.
- Hanks, J. and Richie, J.T. (Editors) 1991. Modeling Plant and Soil System. Agronomy Bulletin 31, ASA, SSSA Madison, Wisconsin, USA.
- Nielsen, D.R. and MacDonald, J.G. (Editors) 1984. Nitrogen in the Environment. Nitrogen Behavior in Field Soils. Academic Press, New York.
- Shaffer, M.J., Ma, L. and Hansen, S. (Editors) 2001. Modeling Carbon and Nitrogen Dynamics for Soil Management. Lewis Publishers, Boca Raton.
- Tsuji, G.Y., Gerrit, H. and Philip, T. 1998. Understanding Options for Agricultural Production. Kluwer, Amsterdam.
- Web sites
- Documentation of the respective models. (http://www.simulistics.com/ for Simile; http:// www.iseesystems.com for Stella; and http://www.vensim.com/software.html for vensim PLE)
- http://www.icasa.net/dssat/index.html for DSSAT; http://www.brc.tamus.edu/epic/ for EPIC
- http://www.nrel.colostate.edu/projects/century/ for Century
- http://www.alterra.wur.nl/NL/for WOFOST
- http://www.apsru.gov.au/ apsru/Default.htm for APSIM
- http://eco.wiz.uni-kassel.de/ecobas.html online Register of ecological models
- Plentinger, M.C. and Penning de Vries, F.W.T. (Editors) 1996. CAMASE Register of Agro- ecosystems Models. DLO-Research Institute for Agrobiology and Soil Fertility (AB-DLO)
- Agricultural Systems – Elsevier at http://www.elsevier.com/wps/product/cws_home /405851